Thursday, June 17, 2010

Making the Best of It :)

The last few weeks in Sierra Leone have been far better than the first. It took me a few days to realize that my summer experience cannot revolve completely around my internship and I began to explore the country.

I woke up at 4:30am last Friday and took a government bus, which is very much like a Greyhound Bus, to a town 5 hours away named "Bo". The plan was to meet up with a few American Interns and watch the US play England in the World Cup. Although it was only the 5 us and about 7 Peace Corp Volunteers rooting for America against about 70 England fans, we had a great time. I decided after that weekend that everyweekend, I would travel to a different place in the country so that I would have the experiences.

My work with the internship has not gotten any better, but I have done a few things. First, I have gotten some of the other interns to share their projects with me, and this has allowed me to do a lot of research about the laws and customs of Sierra Leone. I have also met with someone inside of the President's office who is looking for a way for me to get involved in another project. Timap for Justice does very important work. Unfortunately, I believe that that important work is done outside of Freetown, where I am stationed. I have not given up though, I intend to visit all of their sites this summer. I believe that this summer experience is going to be what I make of it, and I plan to make the best of it.

Peace

No comments: