Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Belfast....first impressions

Hi everyone, I just reporting in from Belfast, where I arrived two days ago. I went from the airport straight to the offices of the Committee on the Administration for Justice to get familiarized with my new surroundings. Now in the my third full day of work, I can say that my colleagues here at the CAJ are kind, helpful and thoroughly familiar with Fordham's work in the international public policy sector, particularly in the Northern Ireland context.

Since I've started working immediately upon my arrival, I've barely had time to secure my housing locally and cannot say that I've seen much of Belfast. What I can say is that it strikes me as a mid-sized city with an increasingly lively profile that contrasts sharply with past notions of a place rife with political unrest. The city center is charming, compact and full of great places to get a coffee or a bite to eat.

I haven't yet checked out the pub scene but will do so soon...to be continued.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thoroughly impressed that you went directly to work! Can you talk more about what you're doing at CAJ? Good to hear that they are familiar with Fordham.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the update. We're just back from a great mission to Malawi and are eager to catch up on the Leitner interns. Fill us in as the work progresses.

Jim Kainen said...

The Fordham Ireland Summer Program starts on Sunday, June 17. Get in touch with us at Queens University School of Law.